Section One Wrestling
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:34 am

John Degl 

Post John Degl
There is no such thing as overnight success; there is even no such thing as final success. There is only passion, dedication, and the hard work that gets you to today. And then there's more hard work tomorrow.

The championships and the trophies, the final second go-ahead takedowns and the tech falls and the pins---those belong to the kids, not to the coaches or the parents. The kids are the ones who have to travel down the long road to victory, a road that is rife with setbacks, disappointments, and enough dead ends to shake out all but the most committed athletes. It's a road that sometimes doesn't even end with a win, but where the journey itself is a victory nonetheless. To every wrestler in Section 1: I congratulate all of you for a year with a Hollywood ending.

Our job---the job of the parents and the coaches-- is to help the kids stay on the road when it would be easier to quit. In wrestling, those moments occur with alarming frequency. Our job is to remind the kids that if they're willing to put in the work, we're going to be there for them. Even when they get stuck at the buzzer while leading 12-0 in the finals, even when the refs don't appear to have the same understanding of stalling that we have. Our job is to point out that losing isn't a detour on the road, it's part of the road. Our job is to light the way, especially when the road gets dark.

John Degl has done as much as anyone to light the way for many of our kids. His knowledge of the sport, his eagerness to share that knowledge, and, most important, his ability to infect others with his passion, are unmatched.

I have watched over the years as John, often at great personal sacrifice, has tirelessly and patiently helped hundreds of kids raise their game. But he's been much more than a wrestling coach; his indomitable spirit and his refusal to stop trying, no matter how close his shoulders are to the mat, teach a lesson that transcends the sport of wrestling--a lesson for parents as well as for their kids.

Thank you, John.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:50 pm

Post Re: John Degl
Degl's club has had so much success this season
96- Speno 2nd, Grippi 4th
103- Realbuto 1st (State Champ), Caputo 3rd
112- Rodrigues 1st (2nd in state), Grippi 2nd, Paugoloco 4th, Schrdnicki 5th
119- Flamio 1st (2nd in state), Stauber 2nd, Fay 3rd
125- Rose? is he a degl guy? 1st ,Watterson 2nd,
130- Grippi 1st (2nd in state), Swertfager 2nd, Gogatz 3rd, Carrion 6th
135- Davidson 1st, Divita 3rd, Schede 5th, Sadarangi 6th
140- Hauser 1st, Graff 2nd, Lorenz 4th
145- Speno 1st (5th in state), Braun 3rd, Cannon 6th
152-Scott 2nd, Delcruz 3rd,
160- Brunderage 1st (State Champ), Genovici 3rd
171- Genovici 4th, Finklestein 6th
189- Gecaj 5th
215-Sweeney 2nd
285- garcia 1st, gecaj 3rd

Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:30 am

Also Speno 5th in the state.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:33 am

Very well said I think many people have different thoughts about people, clubs, coaches, teams etc. but I gotta be honest the results from his club speak for it's self. Good Job.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:26 am

garcia and caputo go to degls? i have never seen them there once

Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:41 pm

Garcia went and pretty much got free private lessons because he was the only fat kid there for jon to beat up on. But then he stopped going and didnt get any better at all because of it. And ive seen caputo there a few times

Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:17 pm

Caputo and flamio and other guys spend alot of time in the NJ club seen now, most good kids like to mix it up a bit.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:32 am

brundage doesnt go to degle's?

Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:09 pm

Congratulations Coach Degle

You have brought Section One back to respectability!!

Section 11 and Section 2 will be hard pressed to keep our boys off next year!

Keep up the great work John and we look to even better things from your boys in the future !

Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:50 pm
Profile E-mail

I don't know why I get sucked in to these discussions but something or someone always gets me. This isn't to disrespect the work Degl puts into the club and the work the club members put into being there - but for ShorelineMVP to put a statement like that out there is a complete insult to all the coaches in section one. Remember the saying the cream rises to the top - well that is kind of what happens at Iowa Style - the best get better. Well ofcourse everyone gets better but all of our top kids get to work with each other 2 or 3 time a week they better be ready for states. Just remember the kids coaches have a little to do with their success too.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:08 am

headlock151,

Sorry you took my congrates to John Degle and his program as a insult to every coach in Section 1 - It was not at all intended to be viewed as such. There are many great coaches out there in Section 1 all of which helped to make this year possible.

However, clearly programs like Degle's and the Olympic club are making a positive impact with realized results.

Thats all I was saying nothing more...

Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:02 pm
Profile E-mail

apex wrestling

Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:07 pm
Profile E-mail

Lets face it coachs are very very importent to a wrestling program but clubs like Apex, Olimpic,The club and ISW are for kids who want more wrestling. Sec.1 would not have done as well this year without them. What ever ISW is doing over there keep up the good work.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:10 pm

What is amazing about degl?
I heard he wrestled for iowa for like two weeks!

BTK

Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:10 pm
Profile E-mail

he was a 2x qualifier and beat guys who placed his senior year, he also beat kerry mccoy for his state title in high school

Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:57 pm

Irrelevant. He could have been a 4x NCAA D1 National champ or never even a section qualifier. He is simply a great coach, period, end of story.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:22 am

degl wrestled at iowa for 4 years. And im not sure but i no he was in the lineup for at least one and i am pretty sure he was one match away from being an all american. i think thats pretty damn good and i no for a fact hes a great coach and nos what he is doing with the kids he got over there

Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:43 am
Profile E-mail